Sunday, January 27, 2013

g&g


If any of you know me, you would know that my grandparents mean the world to me. My dads parents both died while I was very young so I do not remember them. My grandpa and grandma Oakes have just always been there, for every occasion, every party, everything!! They are the world's best role models, the world's best woman alive and the world's best man alive, no biased here, it is the plain simple truth. They are both 90 years old, grandma is turning 91 February 13. She is amazing, so young at heart, cooks, cleans, shops, goes and gets her hair done, goes to lunch, works at a Elementary school and helps with a reading recovery program, she cracks me up talking about my grandpa, how he got stuck on the 'throne' and needed her help. My grandpa has always been strong, determined, loves to work, loves to drive, loves Mountain Dew and caramel popcorn. But this last year has been hard on him. He told me he feels he has aged 10 years in the last year. He had an episode last night that just about had me scared out of my mind that I would lose him, he had a high fever that just took it out of him. We drugged him up pretty good to bring down his fever and by the end of the night he was asking 'how is the future mother of America?' He calls me often to check on me and always asks me that question. I love it! He has always called me Merry Whether as long as I can remember too. He is clever with his words and always adds a comedic flare to his conversations. I pray so bad that he will last much longer on this earth, as selfish as that sounds. I have never lost anyone close to me, and I am scared to death of it. I really thought it was going to happen the other night, and I will be grateful for every single day he is alive and well, along with my grandma. My boys just know them as another grandma and grandpa and I am also grateful they are able to know them and love them. I pray baby girl can have the same experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment